Requirements and Guidelines
- Residents living within Vallejo city limits with current garbage service can avail of the Free Neighborhood Dumpster.
- Commercial businesses, apartment complexes and trailer parks are not eligible for this program.
- The dumpsters are for exterior clean-up only and not for cleaning out garages or interior of homes.
- Certain items are not allowed to be thrown into the dumpster. Please refer to this Unacceptable Items List.
- Dumpsters will be issued on a priority basis as there is a limited number available.
- Only one dumpster per block will be allowed per Recology Vallejo's fiscal year which starts October 1st of each year.
- Failure to comply with the requirements and guidelines will restrict the applicant from receiving a free dumpster in the future.
Applying for a Free Dumpster
- Five people per block must provide valid contact information and sign the Free Neighborhood Dumpster Application Form. They must live on the same street and block but reside at different addresses. ALL PARTICIPATING HOUSEHOLDS MUST HAVE CURRENT GARBAGE SERVICE FOR THEIR HOUSEHOLDS.
- One of the residents on the application form must agree to have the dumpster placed in front of his/her property. Everyone on the application will be able to use the dumpster.
- The applicant (responsible party) must be a property owner and must currenly reside in his/her property. S/he must be in charge of monitoring the items that go into the dumpster and must keep the area around the dumpster clean. S/he will also be responsible for cleaning the area after the dumpster is removed. OVERFLOWING DUMPSTERS AND/OR DUMPSTERS CONTAINING PROHIBITED ITEMS WILL NOT BE PICKED UP AND THE APPLICANT/RESPONSIBLE PARTY WILL BE RESPONSIBLEFOR THE REMOVAL OF ALL EXCESS TRASH OR WILL BE BILLED FOR THE DISPOSAL OF THOSE ITEMS.
- After the signatures from the participating neighbors have been obtained, the applicant must return the completed application form to the Code Enforcement Division.
Processing of the Application
- The Code Enforcement Division will review the application and verify the accuracy of information given.
- Upon approval or denial of the request, the applicant will be notified by phone. If your application is approved, the dumpster will be delivered within (eight) 8 weeks of receipt of your application.
Dumpster Delivery and Pick-Up
- If your application is approved, the Code Enforcement Division will schedule the delivery of the dumpster by Recology Vallejo on a Monday or a Friday. It will be placed only on an approved area in front of one of the signed participant’s homes.
- Dumpsters delivered on a Friday will be picked up the following Monday. Dumpsters delivered on a Monday will be picked up on Friday. If the dumpster is full before the Friday pick-up, an early pick-up must be requested by the applicant by calling the Code Enforcement Division at (707) 648-4469. PLEASE NOTE: RECOLOGY VALLEJO WILL NOT PICK UP ON THE SAME DAY THAT A REQUEST FOR PICK-UP WAS MADE, ON THE SAME DAY OF THE DELIVERY, OR ON A WEEKEND.
- The applicant must be on site when the dumpster is delivered. Recology Vallejo delivers dumpsters at any time between 5 a.m. and 1 p.m. The applicant must also be on site when the dumpster is being picked up.
To apply for the use of a Code Enforcement Free Neighborhood Dumpster, an application can be obtained here or from:
Code Enforcement Division
Vallejo City Hall
555 Santa Clara Street, 1st Floor
Vallejo, CA 94590
Phone (707) 648-4469
Fax (707) 649-3540