ANSWERS TO COMMON QUESTIONS
Who do I contact about Garbage, Recycling and Yard Waste Services?
Answer - Recology Vallejo is the sole contractor providing residential and commercial garbage and recycling services for the City of Vallejo. If you have questions regarding how to start service, missed pickups, billing services, or other garbage and recycling related items - Contact Recology Vallejo at (707) 552-3110 or go to their location at 2021 Broadway St. Vallejo, CA.
Is Recycling Required at Special Events?
Answer - If there are beverages (plastic water/soda bottles, aluminum cans, and glass bottles) that are California Redemption Value (CRV) containers being sold or distributed at the Special Event, there must be a beverage recycling container available for participants. Event organizers can contact the City’s Recycling Coordinator at (707) 648-5346 for assistance or Recology Vallejo (707) 552-3110.
Where can I find a printed Recycling Guide?
Solano County Recycling Guide (link to Recycling Guide PDF on Recycling Landing Page)
Where can I find more information about Composting in Vallejo?
Answer- Contact VALCORE Recycling www.valcorerecycling.org or call (707) 645-8258
Where do I Recycle Appliances?
Answer - Vallejo residents can call Recology Vallejo at (707) 552-3110 and schedule a bulky item pickup.
Residents that live in single family home are allowed to have 4 cubic yards of material picked up twice a year. You can use both of your pickups at the same time.
Metal appliances can be scraped at Alco Metal on Mare Island, located at 629 Cedar Ave. on Mare Island (707) 562-1107.
What are Construction and Demolition (C&D) Recycling Requirements and how do I comply?
The City of Vallejo C&D Debris Recycling Ordinance affects all projects that have a value of $50,000 or 5,000 sq. ft. These projects are required to recycle or reuse 50% of all construction or demolition debris and 75% of all concrete and asphalt generated from their project. Failure to produce documentation (receipt and/or weight tag) indicating that the C&D debris materials have been recycled or reused could result in a substantial fine and/or imprisonment.
Visit the C&D Information Page for guidelines and forms.
ADDITIONAL RECYCLING AND COMPOSTING INFORMATION WEBSITES
The following websites provide recycling resources for state and local residents.
California Resource Recycling and Recovery (CalRecycle)
- the state's leading authority on recycling, waste reduction, and product reuse. Officially known as the Department of Resources Recycling and Recovery, CalRecycle plays an important role in the stewardship of California's vast resources and promotes innovation in technology to encourage economic and environmental sustainability.
- the only free rechargeable battery and cell phone collection program in North America.
– a portal that connects businesses, organizations, manufacturers, schools, and individuals for exchanging materials. One business' trash is another business' treasure.
- empowers the public with community-specific resources to improve their quality of life. Call 1-800-CLEANUP or visit www.earth911.org
- dedicated to protecting the environmental rights of all people, including future generations.
– a group with a mission to create a new generation of environmental leaders by introducing environmental experiences into the classroom and community.
- allows you to buy, sell, and exchange products which kids outgrow fast and are safe to be reused.
United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
– protects human health and safeguards the natural environment air, water, and land upon which life depends.
- Vallejo’s only non-profit, buy-back recycling center for California Redemption Value (CRV) products. VALCORE also provides the following services: recycling tours, speakers for club meetings, composting classes, informational displays in public places, and recycling information at community events.
Waste Reduction Awards Program (WRAP)
- provides an opportunity for California businesses and nonprofit organizations to gain public recognition for their outstanding waste reduction efforts, and lets the community know the business takes waste reduction seriously.
Wheels For Wishes
- a car donation program benefiting the Make-A-Wish® Greater Bay Area. Offers a free and easy way to recycle or donate unwanted cars, trucks, motorcycles, SUVs, RVs, or even boats, by turning them into a wish for a local child.