HUD regulations require that to be considered safe, sanitary, and decent housing all rental units must pass certain Housing Quality Standards (HQS).
All Housing Choice Voucher/Section 8 housing units will be subject to an inspection prior to a new tenant moving in and then annually after that.
During a HQS inspection, the VHA representative will review the unit:
- Adequate heating/cooling systems
- Kitchen appliances (if supplied) are in correct working order
- Doors and windows are in good condition and lock/unlock correctly
- Plumbing, electrical, ventilation systems are free from hazard
- Paint is not peeling
- Walls, ceilings and floors and floor coverings are in good condition
- Bathroom facilities are private and in good condition