Frequently Asked Questions

Fire Department/Prevention Frequently Asked Questions

1. Where are you located?
We are on Mare Island with the Department's Administration offices.  Our address is 970 Nimitz Avenue, Vallejo, CA 94592.  You may contact us at 707-648-4565 and our fax number is 707-648-5214.

2. When are you open?
We are open from 8:30am to 4:30pm, Monday through Thursday.  We close for lunch from 12 – 1:30pm. We are open on Friday from 8:30am to 12pm.  We are closed on weekends and all federal holidays.
3. How do I request a copy of a Fire Report?
Copies of Fire Reports can be requested through this office.   We will need the street address and the date the fire occurred.  The current cost is $10.00 for each report.  We can usually process these requests while you wait.

4. Is a fire inspection required to obtain a Business License?
Yes.  New businesses and any existing businesses with a change in location will require a Fire and Life Safety inspection. (Home based businesses with no employees or out of town businesses do not require this inspection.) There is an inspection fee which covers the initial inspection and one follow-up inspection if needed.  If additional inspections are required, you will be charged an additional inspection fee.  Once you have received fire clearance, we will provide that information and date to the Business License Department.
5. How do I schedule an inspection for my Business License?
You are welcome to visit our office where you can pay the fee and  schedule your appointment at that time or you can mail the fee payment with your contact/business information, and we will contact you to schedule your appointment. We do schedule a specific date and time for the inspection and a responsible party will need to be present to meet with the Inspector.

6. What are we looking for during our inspection?
We are looking for any and all fire and life safety hazards.  Common examples of areas needing review are: exits are free of obstructions, extension cords are not being used in place of permanent wiring, fire extinguishers are present and mounted in the correct location(s), address numbers are plainly visible.

7. What type of fire extinguisher is required?
The most common size and rating is a 2A10BC.
8. What types of businesses are required to have annual fire inspections?
Assemblies (Restaurants, Theaters, etc.), Hospitals, Clinics, Schools, Auto Repair/Body & Tire, Hotels/Motels, Apartments, Health Care Facilities, Congregate Residences, Adult Day Programs, Residential Care Facilities, Family (Large) & Commercial Day Cares and any other types as may be required by the California Fire Code.

9. Who do I call about excessive/tall weeds?
Our office is now handling weed abatement on vacant lots on both City and Solano County East Vallejo Fire Protection District (EVFPD) parcels.  In addition, we handle weed complaints on Solano County East Vallejo Fire Protection District (EVFPD) parcels with structures (residences & commercial buildings).  To report a weed issue on one of these types of properties, please call 707-648-4049. 

10. How do I obtain a permit for special events?
You would contact the Fire Prevention office for special permits such as: tents for parties or events, explosive storage, Christmas tree lots, fireworks, etc.
11. What are the requirements for installing a smoke detector?
Smoke detectors are required in and outside of all sleeping areas and the top and bottom of all stairwells.  Please follow the manufacturer’s instructions for proper installation.

12. What are the requirements for installing a carbon monoxide detector?
Carbon Monoxide/CO detectors shall be installed in all residential occupancies that have appliances that produce or emit carbon monixide.  Please follow the manufacturer’s instructions for placement and mounting height.
13. What type of permit is needed for an open burn in the back yard?
An open burn permit must be obtained from the Fire Prevention office.  These are all subject to approval by the Fire Department and payment of the appropriate fees.

14. When can I use my fireplace?
Your fireplace can be used anytime with the exception of “Spare the Air” days.  These are regulated by Bay Area Air Quality Control District. They can be reached at 1-800-4NOBURN and a recording will tell you if it is a “Spare the Air” day.

15. How do I dispose of hazardous materials?
Call the local garbage company -- Recology.  They will advise you where to drop it off.  Their phone number is (707) 552-3110.

16. How do I submit for a Plan Review & what is required?
You will need to submit a completed plan review application with three sets of plans, one set of specifications and pay the appropriate fees.