Print Page

Earthquake Related Damage

City of Vallejo residents and businesses needing to pull permits for damage repair should review the following Guidelines for No-Cost Building Permits for Repair of Earthquake-Related Damage.  

What properties are eligible?
Properties that have been Yellow tagged (Restricted Use) or Red tagged (Unsafe) are eligible for no-cost building permits which may be issued upon obtaining a building permit at City Hall during the hours indicated below.

What type of repair is eligible?
Repair and demolition projects specifically related to earthquake damage are eligible for no-cost building permits.  A complete building permit application along with construction drawings showing details of the proposed work must be submitted for work that requires a building permit.  Property owners unsure of whether a project requires a building permit should call (707) 648-4328 or visit the City’s Central Permit Center website.

What if my project includes additional work beyond the repair of earthquake damage?  The portion of the work related to earthquake damage will be eligible for a no-cost permit. The property owner is required to pay standard building permit fees for the balance of the project. Pre-existing damages do not qualify for no-cost permits.  

If my house is in a historic district do I need a Certificate of Appropriateness prior to making earthquake related repairs?  Not if the repair is to correct an unsafe or dangerous condition of your building. Vallejo Municipal Code 16.38.270B(3) provides that “No certificate of appropriateness shall be required to prevent any emergency measures of construction alteration or demolition which are deemed necessary to correct the unsafe or dangerous condition of any structure, other feature or part thereof, where such condition has been declared unsafe or dangerous by the building official or the fire marshal, and where the proposed measures  have been declared necessary by such officials to correct the condition; provided, however that only such work as is reasonably necessary to correct the unsafe or dangerous condition may be performed.”  However, if  the repairs  to be made are more extensive than those which would be required to repair earthquake damage, a Certificate of Appropriateness is likely required.  A map of the historic districts is available here.

How long will no-cost permits be available?  The no-cost permits will be issued on projects with complete building permit applications submitted by Wednesday, December 24, 2014.
Additional information about earthquake related repairs is available on the City's Central Permit Center website.

The Central Permit Center is located at 555 Santa Clara St. on the 2nd Floor (707) 648-4328 or and regular business hours are:

    Monday-Thursday 8:30am – 12:00 pm and 1:00 pm – 4:30 pm
    Friday 8:30 am – 12:00 pm